Why I Like D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jan 12 20:41:56 UTC 2022

> I wonder if there is just so much fear of the GC vs people who actually tried to
> use the GC and it failed to suit their needs. I've never been afraid of the GC
> in my projects, and it hasn't hurt me at all.

My experience with people who don't want to use a product I've worked on is:

1. they'll give reason X, which is usually something that sounds convenient
2. I fix X, they can use it now!
3. they then give reason Y, after thinking about it for a minute

What's happening is neither X nor Y is the real reason. They just don't want to
tell me the real reason, usually because it's an emotional one.

The GC issue fits all of that.

For example, back in the olden days (the 1980s), as related to me by a friend:

X: The most important thing I want in a C++ compiler is speed! I cannot
emphasize enough how important that is!
Y: No, that isn't the reason. The most important thing to you in a C++ compiler
is brand name.
X: (Dumbfounded) Why would you say that?
Y: Because you are using Microsoft C++, which is 4 times slower than Zortech C++.
X: Oh.

Another one:

Friend: You should write a native Java compiler! It'll take over the world! I
really want a native Java compiler!
Me: I already wrote one, Symantec's Java compiler. You can get it and use it today!
Friend: Oh. [Changes the subject]

Now, consider BetterC, a 90% subset of D, and no GC in sight. It changed
nobody's mind who didn't use D "because of the GC", because that is not the real
reason.