Why I Like D

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 23:03:37 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 12 January 2022 at 20:41:56 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:

> My experience with people who don't want to use a product I've
> worked on is:
>
> 1. they'll give reason X, which is usually something that
> sounds convenient
> 2. I fix X, they can use it now!
> 3. they then give reason Y, after thinking about it for a minute
>
> What's happening is neither X nor Y is the real reason. They
> just don't want to tell me the real reason, usually because
> it's an emotional one.

Yes, emotions come into play, but the 'emotion argument' on its
own explains nothing.

The 'real reason' is that people are by nature, aversive to
losses.

This impacts how people evaluate a choice.

e.g. an aversion to losing an existing skill set...

what you need to do, is argue you're case in a way that produces
more dopamine neurons to activate ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion