D Language Quarterly Meeting Summary for January 2021

Alexandru Ermicioi alexandru.ermicioi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 17:09:51 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 22 January 2022 at 05:43:55 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Friday, 21 January 2022 at 12:33:25 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> ### Andrei
>> Andrei brought up std.v2, but this is where memory fails me.
>> What I do recall is that there was a bit of talk about the
>> std.v2 namespace and how it will live alongside std, and this
>> came up because Robert isn't convinced the planned approach is
>> the right way to go about it. If Andrei or anyone else would
>> like to say more about what was discussed, please post
>> something below.
>
> IMO having the `std` and `std.v2` namespaces exist alongside
> each other *in the official D distribution* would be a mistake,
> and would make the language significantly less approachable for
> new users.

Imho, current design where obsolete modules are moved from phobos
to undead is a lot better. Just keep newest stuff in phobos and
move old one in undead repo. Projects still relying on old
functionality, can easily just import old module from undead
project and continue using old functionality, until they move to
newest one.