D Language Quarterly Meeting Summary for January 2021

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Jan 22 21:49:11 UTC 2022

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 05:09:51PM +0000, Alexandru Ermicioi via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 January 2022 at 05:43:55 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> > On Friday, 21 January 2022 at 12:33:25 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> > > ### Andrei
> > > Andrei brought up std.v2, but this is where memory fails me. What I
> > > do recall is that there was a bit of talk about the std.v2 namespace
> > > and how it will live alongside std, and this came up because Robert
> > > isn't convinced the planned approach is the right way to go about
> > > it. If Andrei or anyone else would like to say more about what was
> > > discussed, please post something below.
> >
> > IMO having the `std` and `std.v2` namespaces exist alongside each other
> > *in the official D distribution* would be a mistake, and would make the
> > language significantly less approachable for new users.
>
> Imho, current design where obsolete modules are moved from phobos to undead
> is a lot better. Just keep newest stuff in phobos and move old one in undead
> repo. Projects still relying on old  functionality, can easily just import
> old module from undead project and continue using old functionality, until
> they move to newest one.

Is undead versioned? If Phobos starts innovating again, we may need to
keep multiple old versions in undead for old codebases to continue
working.

Perhaps the most widespread illusion is that if we were in power we would behave very differently from those who now hold it---when, in truth, in order to get power we would have to become very much like them. -- Unknown