The D Programming Language Vision Document

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 08:46:31 UTC 2022

You can find the final draft of the high-level goals for the D
programming language at the following link:

https://github.com/dlang/vision-document

I'll fill out the remaining sections as time allows over the
coming weeks. Once it's complete, I'll make sure it's linked in
the Community section of the menu bar.

I want to emphasize that what we have there right now are a list
of high-level goals. Please read my summary of our June meeting
for more info on the motivation behind it.

https://forum.dlang.org/thread/buythmwbdaswuqbtkddv@forum.dlang.org

Some of these goals we want to actively pursue, others are things
we'll take advantage of when the opportunity arises. For example,
completing the memory safety story is an active project, but
looking for features to remove, or to put on the "no recommended
list" is something we'll evaluate when it comes up.

Improving the ecosystem is a major goal. Right now, we don't have
the resources in place to make that happen, but we expect to be
there next year once we have an ecosystem management team in
place.

In the meantime, if you have an idea for a new tool or project
that fits into our goals, and you don't want to start working on
it until you know it's going have the foundation's approval or
support, then please let me know. Hash out ideas of the project
in the forums or on Discord if you need to, but we'll want you to
bring a proposal to one of our monthly meetings for discussion.
Then you'll know if it's worth your time. Just be aware that we
do not have the resources to oversee things right now to the
extent we would like, so anyone looking to make this kind of
contribution should be self-motivated and independent. We'll
support you as much as we can, and we may even be willing to pay
out a contract in some cases, but for now you're largely going to
be on your own.

I also want to reiterate that this is a living document. We will
modify the goals as needed as time goes by.

Feedback is welcome.