D Language Foundation June 2022 Monthly Meeting Summary

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 14:27:17 UTC 2022

The monthly meeting for June 2022 took place on June 10. The
following Foundation staff and D contributors attended:

* Walter Bright
* Iain Buclaw
* Ali Çehreli
* Martin Kinkelin
* Dennis Korpel
* Mathias Lang
* Átila Neves
* Razvan Nitu
* Mike Parker
* Robert Schadek

The purpose of this meeting was to revise the latest draft of the
Vision Document. I don't have a whole lot to summarize, as the
document itself will reflect what we discussed, but I will
provide some background for those who haven't been following
along.

## Background
We first started discussing a new vision document last summer.
This was a direct response to people bringing up "a lack of
vision" in the forums. It's one of those things all of us would
like to have, but there's always something that takes higher
priority. So I put it on a meeting agenda so that we could get
something started.

For a little while, Andrei used to post a kind of vision document
to the D Wiki twice a year. It included a list of items showing
some of the progress made in the previous six months, and a list
of goals to accomplish for the next six months. I thought we
should do something different, as that's more of a task list than
a vision.

My initial concept was a living document describing what Walter
and Átila were each focused on, followed by a list of things they
intended to do in the future, and a list of things that would be
nice to do in the future, resources permitting. These lists would
be accompanied by potential tasks contributors could choose to
take on in order to make the most impact.

I asked Walter and Átila to send me a write up of the things they
were focused on. I would take that, write up the rest of the
document, and then we could revise it and release it.

It's an understatement to say we took our time. The vision
document was low on the priority list for each of us, and there
was always a higher priority task to get done. That said, it was
still on my mind. And I began to reconsider the format.

I realized that the format we had was just an evolution of
Andrei's version of the vision document. There was no
"high-level" vision, no overarching goals. So at our monthly
meeting in February, we scheduled a separate meeting to focus on
what I referred to as a "vision statement" (you can read about it
[in the summary of the February
meeting](https://forum.dlang.org/post/qrtjqubrbuqeiffunili@forum.dlang.org)).

We brainstormed a number of goals, some high-level, some low. My
task after the meeting was to take this list of ideas and craft
it into a coherent vision statement. I would put this statement
(a paragraph or two) at the top of the document, and follow that
up with three sections: Current Focus, Future Focus, and Wishlist.

Eventually, I decided that version of the document wasn't going
to cut it either. We need more than just one or two paragraphs
stating high-level goals. We need a list of high-level goals and
details describing what they mean. [So at our May 2022
meeting](https://forum.dlang.org/post/uhgndrcnekedjqtarnwl@forum.dlang.org), I proposed that our next monthly meeting be devoted to finalizing that list of high-level goals.

## The June meeting
Before the meeting, I had to come up with the initial list. I
took the brainstormed ideas from the vision meeting, sorted them
into categories of high-level goals, and fleshed them out with
definitions and examples.

At the meeting, everyone provided feedback on the language, the
level of detail, and the existing categories. We added a new
category, cut some things, added some information in existing
categories, and had good discussions about the language, the
standard library, the ecosystem, and the community.

My task after the meeting was to make all the suggested
revisions. I expect to finish that this weekend. I'll then submit
it to the others for a final round of feedback, and I'll ask them
to make it a top priority so that it doesn't fall out of sight. I
expect we'll have this portion of the document finalized some
time next week.

The next step is to add the sections for the Current Focus,
Future Focus, and the Wishlist. I've also decided to add a
Contributing section, listing specific tasks contributors can
carry out, rather than including them in the other sections.

## Other notes
I want to make it clear here that none of us involved in these
meetings or in the core development and maintenance of D are
oblivious to the complaints about lack of vision or bad
management. All of us want to do what we can to turn things
around. People will always find something to complain about, but
we all want to see the day where there are no grounds to complain
about a lack of vision or management.

I'll be talking a little about this in my DConf talk, but we are
actively looking at ways to improve the situation. We want to
start by focusing on the community and their contributors. As a
few examples of what I mean, we want to:

* improve the response time when services fail (e.g.,
code.dlang.org or forum outages)
* enhance the new user experience
* ensure that everyone can easily learn who is responsible for
what
* make contributing less daunting
* create the conditions for contributors to feel their efforts
are worthwhile
* establish a framework that allows contributors who require or
prefer guidance to know where to direct their efforts and,
critically, provides a designated point of contact for follow up

The PR and Issue Manager positions were an early step in that
direction. The ongoing plan for the foundation to take over
responsibility for maintaining services in the ecosystem is
another step in that direction. Our future plan to establish an
ecosystem management team will be the next step in that direction.

Getting to where we want to be will take time, and time is a
resource none of us have a lot of. The further along we get with
things, the more resources we'll have to take us even further.

Almost all of the real work is happening on the shoulders of
volunteers. Vladimir Panteleev and Petar Kirov are working out
the action plan for the server migration and will subsequently be
involved in admin operations, all on their own time.

The members of the ecosystem management team will be volunteers,
people who will donate their free time to implement task lists in
line with the vision document, find volunteers to carry out those
tasks, and provide the support and follow up needed to see the
tasks to completion.

There are very few people getting paid for the work going on
here. Razvan and Dennis are getting $25,000 a year each for their
positions as PR Managers, funded by Symmetry. I get $1200 per
month, and Max $1000 per month, directly from the D Foundation's
general fund. Beyond that, we pay bounties for blog posts (and in
the future, YouTube content), fund the occasional contract, and
have provided scholarships for students who focus on D projects
for their academic work. I say this because right now we are at
the limit of what can be funded for regular pay. There is room
for a few contracts still in the work fund, and we continue to
pay bounties, buy contributor rewards, etc, but there's nothing
available for adding more regular positions.

Everything that exists in the D ecosystem was built by
volunteers. In the absence of more funding, that's how it
continues to be. It all requires volunteers to maintain it. And
given how much we've grown, it requires volunteers to manage it.

Some people may not be happy with the vision document once it's
published. I would love it if everyone is, but I expect some
people will find it lacking. That's one of the reasons it's
intended to be a living document. As time goes by, we'll revise
it as necessary. That includes not just changing the current
focus, or future focus, or adding and removing goals, but
adapting it to meet the needs of our contributors.

The vision document is not a roadmap with designated stops along
the way. It's not a checklist of milestones. Our intention is
that it serve as a general guide for self-motivated contributors
to decide where to direct their efforts, and for volunteer
managers to draw up more detailed task lists for those
contributors who need a little more guidance.

I'm sure someone will ask when it will be published. I'm still
holding to my promise that we'll get it done before DConf. My
original plan was to wait until the entire document was
finalized, but I now intend to publish the high-level portion
once the final draft is approved, then add the rest to it at some
point in July.

In the meantime, I'd like to remind everyone of things you can do
right now to contribute:

* notify Razvan or Dennis that you are available to fix bugs and
what kind (beginner level, compiler, Phobos, etc)---though Razvan
is on vacation right now, so you're probably better off
contacting only Dennis until after July 1
* make a forum post about any old Bugzilla issues that are still
bothering you, or tweet about them with #DBugfix
* contribute to a D project that you use, or would like to see
succeed, by reporting and/or fixing bugs
* contribute a blog post to the D Blog
* write a post on your own blog and let me know about it so that
I can share it
* post regular update tweets about your current D project with
#dlang, or share it on /r/programming if it's in a usable state

At the very least, you can always contact me for ideas on how to
contribute (aldacron at gmail.com). I'll be happy to throw some at
you.

The theme of my DConf talk is "it takes a village", because it
really does. We're working to upgrade our village to a township,
but we can't do it without help. We're always thankful for
everyone who contributes in ways large and small, and we hope
that comes across more clearly as time goes by.

I ask your patience as we continue to take our baby steps toward
the future.