Walter on Twitter

Greggor Greggor at notareal.email
Wed Apr 26 20:52:22 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 18 April 2023 at 20:07:43 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I'm just afraid it will consist mostly of me staring at the
> screen with a baffled look.

Do not let that discourage you, I think you should do the coding
videos. I feel there is a lot of potential value in it.

During the last few years a new niche has cropped up on YouTube,
where people record and upload there full programming sessions.
Don't worry about "dead air" or about stuff not working out. The
video production is not where the value is, the value is in
exposing the raw thinking & problem solving process. People who
have experience often end up cutting out a lot of things, due to
it being obvious to them.

Whats unique to this style of video is that its up to the viewer
to decide what takeaways are useful. This often means the a
single video can be good for people at all levels.
I have also noticed that this kind of videos help get beginners
out of tutorial hell.

The reason you should do it, is because you are one of few in a
unique position to make the most impact, Who else is THE
authority on D?
Andreas Kling is responsible for onboarding many people onto C++
through his videos on YouTube.

In the worst case if this is a bad idea, this will cost the
overhead of setting up a recording and uploading it online, the
content of the video is the work you would be doing anyway with
you simply vocalizing your thought process.