R and D interop with saucer

data pulverizer data.pulverizer at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 00:50:54 UTC 2023

On Friday, 29 December 2023 at 23:51:44 UTC, Sergey wrote:

> Hi! Thanks for open sourcing the project
> I remember some time ago I asked in Twitter about it :)
>
> I remember you previously mentioned, that you are familiar with
> EmbedR project, and that your library has different approach:
> it will be cool to have comparison or a note on GitHub page
> about differences with the second solution.

That's a great point. I really can't remember what stage I was
writing saucer when I became aware of EmbedR, but one thing I
didn't understand was why it had to have pre-compiled weka? code
within the package this is the `R.lib` file, which is a
nonstarter security-wise. I also felt that such a project should
have strong syntactic similarities with Rcpp to facilitate
adoption, that it should have a nicer easier interface, that it
would be a good learning experience for me, and that I could
(probably) do a decent job at it.

I have updated the package to include a reference to EmbedR
outlining these points. Interestingly enough, there is a Rust
package for R and D interop called embedr as well
(https://docs.rs/extendr-api/latest/extendr_api/).