D Language Foundation January 2023 Quarterly Meeting Summary

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Feb 27 14:27:25 UTC 2023

On Monday, 27 February 2023 at 10:47:04 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> Razvan [submitted a PR deprecating `alias this` in
> classes](https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/14812) the next day.
> Amaury [initiated a forum
> discussion](https://forum.dlang.org/thread/roaaoujwgkzednetbndp@forum.dlang.org) a few days later.

Is there a replacement? If not, why is this even being discussed?
I'm all for breaking changes if there's a benefit and an easy
path to maintain the existing functionality. This fails on both
counts. If you want to enforce that it's not used, add a flag,
but don't take it away just for the sake of taking it away.

> Martin suggested a fourth option: phase out `-betterC` because
> it's a "pile of hacks". Dennis considered that but thought
> BetterC users would not be happy when it gets deprecated
> without a suitable replacement.

If you don't like BetterC, don't use BetterC. It *already*
requires a flag.

More generally, deprecation decisions like this shouldn't be made
by a small group of people that write a tiny percentage of the D
code running in the real world. That same process gave us a safe
by default proposal that would have made it impossible to
interoperate with C code.