Update on my D game

Kenny Shields mail at kennyshields.net
Sat Jan 21 05:16:55 UTC 2023

On Friday, 20 January 2023 at 16:10:20 UTC, Ki Rill wrote:

> I played the game. I like the concept. Here are few things I
> thought about while playing it:
>
> * It was slooow on my laptop. Don't know, if its my setup or on
> the D side, or something else. (I use windows 10)

Thanks for giving it a try! Sorry to hear it was slow on your
laptop, would you be willing to post the specs? If you're running
without a dedicated GPU then the performance likely won't be
great, especially if it's an older generation of onboard graphics.

One thing you could try is disabling "Soft Shadows" in the
settings menu. This feature was recently added and likely won't
perform well without a GPU as it uses a shader for smoothing the
edges of the shadows from light sources.

> * Maybe add a story to the game to catch the player's attention
> and deepen it, to add some dynamic elements to the game... the
> apocalypse theming is wonderful though.

Yeah I haven't worked much on any type of story tbh, though that
may change with future releases. The new scenario that I'm
working does have some basic story elements to it, so we'll see
how that evolves.

> * The movement key `W` - I didn't get it at first and spent
> sometime trying to understand why it wasn't working. So, it
> would be great to display a small hint while the level is being
> loaded or as a separate message in the beginning.

I think I may just build a simple tutorial mode to acquaint the
player with the control scheme, especially since the W key thing
is a bit unorthodox. This way I would be able to display a prompt
on first launch asking if they want to do the tutorial, and
they'd be able to re-visit it too if they wanted.

> That's it, keep up the good work! I'd like to check out the
> finished game some day.

I update the project fairly frequently so be sure to give it a
follow if you have an itch account! Alternatively, you can
subscribe to the devlog RSS feed to get updates without an
account:
https://kenny-shields.itch.io/imperium-scenario-system/devlog.rss