A New Era for the D Community

MissPiggy MissPiggy at gmail.com
Thu May 4 00:21:03 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 3 May 2023 at 23:42:37 UTC, max haughton wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 May 2023 at 23:17:28 UTC, MissPiggy wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 3 May 2023 at 11:13:34 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>>
>>> Our enthusiasm is high, and we're ready to get going. I think
>>> you'll like where we're headed.
>>
>> IVY may increase the probability of a particular outcome, but
>> it cannot predict a particular outcome.
>>
> OK?
>> You simply cannot ever know the position and velocity of every
>> atom in the universe.
>
> Luckily some very clever physicists have worked out that this
> task is a fools errand and instead one *can* model the
> interesting large scale dynamics of the system extremely well
> (until you can't, but still).
>
>>> You're going to hear more about IVY as time goes by, and
>>> eventually,
>>> we're going to start employing it more broadly in the
>>> community.
>>
>> Whether you can in fact 'deploy' IVY into the 'broader
>> community'... well..that remains to be seen.
>>
>> It's more likely, I think, that D's 'future' will be
>> increasingly determined by the priorities of a select group of
>> corporations, rather than any psychological/behavioural
>> science.
>
> Ignoring that this statement doesn't make any sense (IVY is but
> a tool):
>
> Let's not bother then eh — I'm sure Mike, who is the main
> liaison between these groups, hasn't put any thought into this.

I don't believe my post required this kind of response. Check
your motivations please.

First, I was simply stating the obvious.. that there are always
things that are not under your control. You can predict
possibilities of an outcome only (where such variables are in
play). This is not the same as saying you shouldn't try, which
was your criticism against something I never said.

Second, I was simply stating the obvious (e.g who attends these
regular meetings? Increasingly, its business oriented, isn't it?
That is not a criticism. Other languages have also been driven by
business priorities, and have succeeded very well. Whether this
is true for D, remains to be seen.

When I go on a road trip, even when I know where I want to get
to, doesn't mean I'm going to get there. It also doesn't mean I'm
not going to go on a road trip.