A New Era for the D Community

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Wed May 3 23:42:37 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 3 May 2023 at 23:17:28 UTC, MissPiggy wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 May 2023 at 11:13:34 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>
>> Our enthusiasm is high, and we're ready to get going. I think
>> you'll like where we're headed.
>
> IVY may increase the probability of a particular outcome, but
> it cannot predict a particular outcome.

OK?
> You simply cannot ever know the position and velocity of every
> atom in the universe.

Luckily some very clever physicists have worked out that this
task is a fools errand and instead one *can* model the
interesting large scale dynamics of the system extremely well
(until you can't, but still).

>> You're going to hear more about IVY as time goes by, and
>> eventually,
>> we're going to start employing it more broadly in the
>> community.
>
> Whether you can in fact 'deploy' IVY into the 'broader
> community'... well..that remains to be seen.
>
> It's more likely, I think, that D's 'future' will be
> increasingly determined by the priorities of a select group of
> corporations, rather than any psychological/behavioural science.

Ignoring that this statement doesn't make any sense (IVY is but a
tool):

Let's not bother then eh — I'm sure Mike, who is the main liaison
between these groups, hasn't put any thought into this.