A New Era for the D Community

monkyyy crazymonkyyy at gmail.com
Sat May 13 00:52:23 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 15:46:12 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> I basically agree with this

I feel if I was understood, only people with (at least) one foot
out the door would agree easily.

As it stands *anytime* *anyone* says "I want to help D" in the
discord, I and several others basically go out of our way to
dissuade that notion; *that's damning* to the long-term health of
the language. Thats not changing on my end, Im practicing what I
preach, minor political changes won't convince me. Can anyone
tell me with a straight face that the last guy to say "Hi im new,
d lacks a crypto lib in the std, is that something I could help
with?" shouldn't have been told to avoid that like the plague?

---

Michael Malice has this concept of "Nancy Pelosi 4th favorite ice
cream"; every night she has a pint of icecream, 90% of the time
she picks her favorite and so on.

She hasn't eaten her 4th favorite icecream in 3 years, is she
lying?

(nancy says she is for freedom, but when asked if she would
legalize meth/ legalize nukes/ get rid of all taxes, *said no
everytime*)

I think this leads to a "blunt fact" you can only have so many
principles. Every official D codebase uses the official style
guide, cares about the long-term vision, and who knows what other
unstated requirements.

I believe "coherent vision" must be discarded for some part of
the process.

> "Management" does not always mean "telling people what to do".
> Sometimes (often!) it means removing roadblocks and bottlenecks
> that get in the way of people doing what they already want to
> do.

The way I read the main post is not "We are changing our
fundamental values to be more flexible" it's more "I'm making an
effort to communicate the team's vision better". I don't believe
this issue is that; I hear the team's vision very very loudly, I
could tell you a few reasons why the std won't get new data
structures this decade(much less the ones I would suggest). It's
not a lack of communication of them to me, Im just willing to
summarize "we can't make data structures, you should use @nogc
@live and @safe, your code isn't our style, allocators are
coming" to "no".

D seems to plan on telling people what's acceptable at exactly
the same rate, for the foreseeable future; I see nothing that
would make anything I write acceptable to it.

> (Honestly, maybe 80% of the time when I've seen "D needs better
> management", it has been code for "D management didn't like my
> proposal.")

Yes, d needs better management because d didn't like my proposal.

I mean "anarchic" when I ask for a redesign of std.experimental.
I don't see a future healthy growth of the language when any
member of the dev team has a say on everything.

I see no shuffling of decision-making capabilities that would
resolve the issues.

---

When I say "d has a community of meta-programming crazed
iconoclasts" and "don't herd cats"; I do mean the community,
genius doesn't necessarily play nice with others or lead people
to work *for free* with poor working conditions. I'm not really
saying nice things about myself or the other people who left or
are unwilling to contribute for whatever reason. But I would
suggest the solution to courting the iconoclastic elements isn't
with something tested in corporate culture, corporations
generally pay to have people tolerate their demands, D must
compete with the freedom of doing your own project.