DLF September 2023 Planning Update

matheus matheus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 15:00:59 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 13:25:43 UTC, Andrey Zherikov
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 08:18:20 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> * We should have a tool that automates as much as possible the
>> migration of modules to new editions
>> * DMD-as-a-library is a critical component for that tool and
>> other tools in the ecosystem. We need to put a priority on
>> working out all the implementation issues Razvan has raised.
>
> IMHO having a general purpose migration tool is a big win. For
> example, I, as a library owner, want to help users to migrate
> their code from one library version to another and making this
> code evolution automatic would be ideal.

I know this is kind of a different subject, but one thing that
I'd like to understand is this situation of evolution. We usually
see people complaining about the language evolution vs breaking
code.

I wonder how hard would be to "fix" the old code with a tool
during the compile time. For example I see this with VSCode
Editor when opening on old code and it shows some suggestions to
fix the code with, of course it's not during the compile time but
it's parsed somehow through the IDE (I guess!?).

Well I barely see this in some languages, and I always wondered
why? I mean why a source couldn't be parsed and fixed (With the
user approval) in one go.

Matheus.