DLF September 2023 Planning Update

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 15:05:34 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 08:18:20 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> * Editions will most likely be implemented via an attribute on
> the module declaration. We haven't discussed any details about
> that, but for now, just imagine something like `@edition(2024)
> module foo;`.

When considering how this should work, I would strongly suggest
it be the default to work with the current edition of the
language. Nobody wants to always have to attribute their module
(or whatever other opt-in mechanism) to use current features.
It's going to be a WTF moment for all newcomers to D.

This brings us to the problem that no prior libraries have
editions marked on them. So I think there needs to be an external
mechanism to be able to set the edition for a package or module
from the command line, or somehow in a config file. Or you can
set the "assumed" edition using a switch (but it should still
default to "current").

-Steve