DLF September 2023 Planning Update

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 05:34:20 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 15 November 2023 at 02:38:38 UTC, Adam D Ruppe
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 November 2023 at 02:27:42 UTC, Mike Shah wrote:
>> I just want to echo Steve's sentiment, that it should be easy
>> for new (and old) D users to start up a project without
>> worrying about editions.
>
> Actually, this brings another question to mind: what about old
> users who keep up with the language? Do they need to edit
> dozens or hundreds of files on each and every language update?
> (Of course, making a script do this for you wouldn't be
> especially difficult, but I don't trust scripts to edit my code
> soooooo lol and besides, what about things like ddoc examples,
> will it edit them too?)

The goal is that you will never have to touch those dozens or
hundreds of files when you update to a new version of the
compiler. That old code will benefit from any bug fixes in the
newest compiler versions, but will always compile.

If and when you're ready to make use of a new feature from a
newer edition, e.g., tuples from Edition N, then you take three
steps:

1. fork your project
2. run the fix tool on however many modules/packages you
want/need to
3. manually touch up whatever the fix tool couldn't handle
automatically

That should cover any modifications required for changed/removed
features, and now you can use tuples in those updated modules.

That's the idea, anyway, as I currently understand it.