DLF September 2023 Planning Update

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 05:48:44 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 08:18:20 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> ## Editions

> Átila took on the job of writing the proposal and we set
> November 1st as the deadline. We've since moved it to
> mid-December.

I'm going to refrain from chiming in on this any further for now.
I know what our goals are. I know that we've discussed much of
what has come up in this thread (e.g., command-line flags vs.
module attribute).  I don't yet know what the draft proposal will
look like. I can't say anything definitively until I've seen it.

Our number one goal with editions is to avoid breaking code with
new compiler releases. Old code, your project or your
dependencies, should always compile, but still benefit from bug
fixes in new compiler releases, ideally without any extra steps
required from you.

Átila has looked into Rust's editions, the proposal for C++
epochs, and probably some other stuff. So he's taking inspiration
from those along with the discussions we've had so far. When the
draft is ready, we'll publish it for feedback.