DLF September 2023 Planning Update

Mike Shah mshah.475 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 21:57:57 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 15 November 2023 at 21:48:04 UTC, Mike Shah wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 November 2023 at 05:27:40 UTC, Mike Parker
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 15 November 2023 at 02:27:42 UTC, Mike Shah
>> wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> It's just like any other language feature you have to learn.
>> The documentation will be clearly divided by edition. You'll
>> have one section for the base language (the default edition)
>> and one for each subsequent edition. You can jump in an use
>> the default language without caring about editions. Then when
>> you want to learn more, say sumtypes and tuples from edition
>> N, the documentation, tutorials, and example code you see
>> should make it very clear that you need to specify edition N.
>> And the documentation for edition N will explain all the
>> changes that edition makes.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Makes sense -- thanks Mike! Looking forward to learning more!

I will add that the idea of annotating 'edition' or 'version' is
something I am use to doing in glsl (e.g. '#version core 410'
goes at the top of the file), so that is pretty easy.

For others, I'm reading about Rust editions
(https://doc.rust-lang.org/edition-guide/introduction.html) to
try to get more education for now. Indeed looks like a win for
DLang to adopt something similar. For C++ there was an epoch
proposal
(https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p1881r0.html) as well probably worth skimming for others.