From the D Blog: Crafting Self-Evident Code in D

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Oct 4 21:03:14 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 4 October 2023 at 19:50:55 UTC, claptrap wrote:

>>> I personally found this talk very disappointing. Walter is
>>> the head honcho and he's giving talks on coding guidelines?
>>>
>>> Its like visiting the F1 engineering workshop and getting a
>>> talk on health and safety.
>>>
>>> Tell us the engine, about what you're working on, some gnarly
>>> problem you've solved, or something cool.
>>
>> Walter's a contributor to this open source project like anyone
>> else. He's going to give talks on whatever strikes his
>> interest at the time. If he was a CEO with a 7-figure salary
>> like Mitchell Baker, things would be different.
>
> Hes not like everyone else he's...
>
> "Walter bright creator of the D Programming Language"

That means he's contributed a lot in the past, so he has more
freedom, not less, in choosing what to talk about.

Your post is an example of a contribution tax. Those that do the
most work on a project are held to a higher standard than
everyone else, and they are the ones most open to criticism,
including public criticism. It's one reason productive
contributors leave open source projects, and why many people turn
down leadership positions.