From the D Blog: Crafting Self-Evident Code in D

claptrap clap at trap.com
Thu Oct 5 00:53:45 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 4 October 2023 at 21:03:14 UTC, bachmeier wrote:

>>> Walter's a contributor to this open source project like
>>> anyone else. He's going to give talks on whatever strikes his
>>> interest at the time. If he was a CEO with a 7-figure salary
>>> like Mitchell Baker, things would be different.
>>
>> Hes not like everyone else he's...
>>
>> "Walter bright creator of the D Programming Language"
>
> That means he's contributed a lot in the past, so he has more
> freedom, not less, in choosing what to talk about.

I have never once said he cant talk about whatever he wants to,
I've explicitly said the opposite. All I said is that by virtue
of who he is has more interesting things to talk about than
whether "enum { yes, no }" is a good idea or not.

> Your post is an example of a contribution tax. Those that do
> the most work on a project are held to a higher standard than
> everyone else, and they are the ones most open to criticism,
> including public criticism. It's one reason productive
> contributors leave open source projects, and why many people
> turn down leadership positions.

Maybe we should hold people to lower standards the higher up they
get and see how that works out?