Upcoming ACCU 2024 Talk: How DLang Improves my Modern C++ and Vice Versa

Mike Shah mshah.475 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 01:38:20 UTC 2024

I'll be talking more about D (and modern C++) at the ACCU 2024
conference in Bristol (Abstract below -- talk is on April 19,
2024).

Let me know if you'll be joining (in-person or online)! The
recording of the talk will otherwise be posted after the talk,
and slides will immediately be available on my website after the
talk is given.

https://accuconference.org/session/how-dlang-improves-my-modern-cpp-and-vice-versa

ABSTRACT: The D programming language (DLang) is a multi-paradigm
language (like C++) developed to solve real software engineering
problems. DLang has a rich history since its inception in 2001,
and continues to be an actively evolving memory-safe language
used in industry. In this talk, I will discuss how learning and
using the D language has directly benefited my use and learning
of C++ and vice versa. We'll look at the evolution of both C++
and Dlang, and see how each language has borrowed from each other
during their most recent evolution in the past decade. Throughout
the talk, I will provide side-by-side code comparisons showing
idiomatic ways to complete tasks in D alongside C++ code
examples. The goal of this talk however is not to pit one
language against the other, but rather to show how to use each
language to its strengths and learn how to become a better
programmer. Audience members are expected to be familiar with
Modern C++, but are not expected to have any prior D programming
experience.