A Conversation with Martin Kinkelin on LDC

Hipreme msnmancini at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 29 10:33:58 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 28 January 2024 at 19:12:39 UTC, Johan wrote:
> Hey Mike and Martin,
>   It's very nice that you took the time to have this
> conversation and record it! Great to be able to put a face to
> an internet name, and hear a little about someones back story :)
>
> I'm happy you touched on Martin's CI work besides his
> programming contributions, because CI/packaging is probably not
> something many people think about when you say "compiler
> development". The (continued) work on CI and automatic release
> packaging by Martin has been enormous. It has taken a huge
> amount of time and effort - and I'm sure a lot of frustration
> went along with it - but the end result really is stellar. As
> Martin mentions, it works for forks as well, great stuff.
>
> cheers,
>   Johan

And it is a work that makes a complete difference. Trying always
to "Build It Yourself" is always a huge pain. There's too much
setup to be done, and as a cross platform developer, I can see
how much work it is going there. At least my latest 200 commits
has been on smooth UX across the platforms for cross compiling.
One can just wonder how much work it goes to that when you're a
step lower on compiler development.