A Conversation with Martin Kinkelin on LDC

Johan j at j.nl
Sun Jan 28 19:12:39 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 28 January 2024 at 18:11:24 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Some of you may recall the two conversations I had with Walter
> a while back, part of what I called the 'D Community
> Conversations' series. I've long planned to get that going as a
> regular, monthly thing. Finally, the time has come.
>
> I want to thank Martin Kinkelin for agreeing to sit down with
> me to chat about his road to programming and to the D language,
> how he ended up as the lead maintainer of LDC, and some of the
> details about the role.

Hey Mike and Martin,
   It's very nice that you took the time to have this conversation
and record it! Great to be able to put a face to an internet
name, and hear a little about someones back story :)

I'm happy you touched on Martin's CI work besides his programming
contributions, because CI/packaging is probably not something
many people think about when you say "compiler development". The
(continued) work on CI and automatic release packaging by Martin
has been enormous. It has taken a huge amount of time and effort
- and I'm sure a lot of frustration went along with it - but the
end result really is stellar. As Martin mentions, it works for
forks as well, great stuff.

cheers,
   Johan