Is D programming friendly for beginners?

M.M. matus at email.cz
Tue Mar 12 19:07:25 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 at 18:03:43 UTC, Lance Bachmeier wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 at 17:03:42 UTC, Mike Shah wrote:
>
>> As a note, the 'which language is best for CS 1' debate has
>> long been debated -- but at least in a school setting, I've
>> found the quality/enthusiasm/encouragement of the teacher to
>> be the most important aspect regardless of language choice.
>
> As someone that's been teaching beginners to program at a
> university for a long time (but not in a CS department) I've
> come to see the choice of language as largely unimportant. You
> have to decide what you want to teach them and then eliminate
> the languages that aren't suitable. D is one of many languages
> that would work with the right content. Other languages, like
> C++, add unnecessary overhead and thus should not be used.
>
> It's often said "X is a complicated language" but that's the
> wrong way to look at it. You're teaching a set of programming
> concepts, not a language. The question is how well a particular
> language works for learning those concepts.

I was always wondering about this debate on a suitable "first"
programming language in a CS curriculum. I largely observe one
dividing point: to start with a strongly-typed language or not.
(After that, it probably does not matter so much which language
is chosen; alas, it should be available on Windows, Linux, and
Mac OS). Do you observe similar sentiment in the discussions in
the university settings?