Is D programming friendly for beginners?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Mar 13 19:35:38 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 at 19:07:25 UTC, M.M. wrote:

> I was always wondering about this debate on a suitable "first"
> programming language in a CS curriculum. I largely observe one
> dividing point: to start with a strongly-typed language or not.
> (After that, it probably does not matter so much which language
> is chosen; alas, it should be available on Windows, Linux, and
> Mac OS). Do you observe similar sentiment in the discussions in
> the university settings?

I'm not a CS person so I'll have to defer to others (their needs
are very different). My grad students are doing more complicated
programming for data analysis and simulation. I focus on
recursion and using a functional programming approach, because
that simplifies things so much for these types of problems. All I
need is a language that supports that.