Ddbg UTF-8 problem?

dickl dick221z at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 07:55:26 PDT 2007

Mike wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sorry if this has come up already, I've searched the NG but didn't find anything. I'm new to Ddbg, so I've probably made something wrong, but ... anyway, let's see.
>
> Here's what happens:
>
> Ddbg 0.10 beta - D Debugger
> Copyright (c) 2007 Jascha Wetzel
> see http://ddbg.mainia.de/doc.html for documentation

> ->r
> ntdll.dll loaded at 0x7c910000
> KERNEL32.dll loaded at 0x7c800000
> USER32.dll loaded at 0x7e360000
> GDI32.dll loaded at 0x77ef0000
> 4invalid UTF-8 sequence
> ->
>
> That UTF-8 thing seems to mess up Ddbg somehow, it just doesn't work. Is there anything I can do about it?
>
> -Mike

I've seen the UTF problem with fixed length strings (writefln has the
same problem). Initializing them to 0 before using fixes the problem .

Are you sure that writefln or writef (or format / sformat) aren't
throwing an exception rather than ddbg ?

Set a break point to the 1st line of code (main or winmain) and then r.
Step thru the program to see where it dies.