Debuggers for D

Cristian Vlasceanu cristian at zero-bugs.com
Mon Feb 26 22:17:27 PST 2007

John Demme wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> This newsgroup is for discussions about debuggers for D with at least
>>> some D specific support:
>>>
>>> 1) Cristi Vlasceanu's ZeroBUGS for Linux:
>>>
>>> http://www.zerobugs.org/
>> D support is still vapor as far as I know?  Couldn't find anything
>> mentioned on the web page.
>>

> He doesn't mention it on the website, but there is some limited support for
> D.  I've been working with it a bit today.
>
> Unfortunately, when it comes to debugging D code on Linux it's hard to label
> a debugger as vaporware when in fact "dmd -g" is vaporware.  I can't tell
> what's the debugger's fault and what DMD either isn't doing or is doing
> wrong.  Hell, #146 is still open!  I'm pretty sure that a fair of the
> linenumber and file information is wrong, and most symbols don't appear in
> the DWARF information.  I don't mind sounding like a broken record when I
> say that I'd be very, very happy if the next DMD had real Linux debugging
> support.  According to Critian, it's not too hard to do with libdwarf.

I am currently having an email exchange with Walter on the topic of line
numbers. Which BTW, work with GDC.

Indeed, the only place I alluded to D is on the zero-bugs.com FAQ page.
Thomas Kuehne has graciously contributed a D demangler, the Dmain
function and the dthrow are detected, but that's about it so far.

I hope to get the D support in a better shape as soon as we fix this
line numbers show stopper problem.