[ddbg] trap to debugger?

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 03:23:25 PDT 2007

It comes often that during programming, I'd like to add a breakpoint at source level. Since I don't use an IDE, having to specify breakpoints in file:line format every time I run Ddbg (the line numbers change, so the -cmd= parameter doesn't help much). It's common practice in other languages to add a "hard breakpoint", for example in case of a failed assert (which should never fail anyway, as they are checked only in debug builds, so depending on them isn't right). This is done by simply inserting an "int 3" instruction in the code:
	asm { int 3; }
However, Ddbg seems to just ignore these at the moment (while, when running the executable as it is, a "Win32 Exception" is raised). Would it be hard to make Ddbg catch these exceptions and react as if a breakpoint was hit?

P.S. I realise that this post may sound like it's written in an angry mood, but I'm actually very grateful for your work, Jascha :) D projects would be considerably harder to maintain on Windows without Ddbg!

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                          mailto:thecybershadow at gmail.com