gdb internal error

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Tue Dec 27 10:20:00 PST 2011

On 27/12/2011 15:37, AaronP wrote:
> Ah, thanks, compiling with -gc works. Though names are mangled and I can
> only set breakpoints at line numbers. I thought I could compile with -g
> because I've got the latest gdb (woo Arch Linux). Weren't there some
> patches that were being included with gdb to make things better for d?
> Or was that for gdc?

There are patches for gdb that have been integrated... They only work
with -g though (or when using ldc or gdc). However you need to use -gc
to stop gdb giving fatal errors... It's a bit of a pain. To work around
this, use:

(gdb) set language d

There is a patch that should fix this, it still needs to be merged though:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/526

The issue goes something like this:

  * -g emits debug information with D extensions that conflict with
official standards (causing gdb to error). It sets the language to D, so
the gdb D extensions are activated.
  * -gc emits debug information without D extensions, and sets the
language to C.

Hopefully the above pull request will be integrated soon, in the mean
time, try set language in gdb, or switch to ldc or gdc.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/