Help getting a debug environment setup.

ChrisG joe at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 17 15:59:50 PST 2013

I've been playing with D for a bit, but something that's
preventing me from using it for any serious tasks is the apparent
lack of a usable debugger.

I was playing with D under OS X. Editing code was fine, but
trying to debug on the platform was slap in the face. Looks like
GDB is the only recommended approach under OS X and guess what?
GDB was removed from the latest OS X version Mavericks. LLDB sort
of works, but between the name mangling and super verbose
command-line interface it was pure torture to use. I could try
and get the mac ports version of GDB, but then I'll have to deal
with having both brew and ports on the same system.

So, I moved over to Windows. I've installed Visual D on VS 2012
(at this point I'm scared to install it on my machine with VS
2013). Once again, I can edit and build mostly OK, but debugging
appears to be almost completely broken. Almost all of the
important VS hot-keys for debugging fail with a dialog box "The
method or operation is not implemented" (F5, Ctrl+Shift+F5, F10,
F11). I've tried with both the cv2pdb and mango options.

Does anyone use a debugger on D code? Does GDB on Linux work?
What am I missing?

Thanks,

-Chris