Help getting a debug environment setup.

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Tue Dec 17 23:17:29 PST 2013

On 18.12.2013 00:59, ChrisG wrote:
> I've been playing with D for a bit, but something that's
> preventing me from using it for any serious tasks is the apparent
> lack of a usable debugger.

[...]

> So, I moved over to Windows. I've installed Visual D on VS 2012
> (at this point I'm scared to install it on my machine with VS
> 2013). Once again, I can edit and build mostly OK, but debugging
> appears to be almost completely broken. Almost all of the
> important VS hot-keys for debugging fail with a dialog box "The
> method or operation is not implemented" (F5, Ctrl+Shift+F5, F10,
> F11). I've tried with both the cv2pdb and mango options.

If you select the Visual Studio Debugger in the "Debugging" options of
the D project, the same debugger is used as with C++ projects. So all
the hotkeys should work. Maybe you have some other plugin installed that
expects special support from the language service? Did you change some
of the debugger options in Tools->Options->Debugging that might be
causing the trouble?

Unfortunately, VS 2012 comes with a new debug engine that does not work
well with watches in D programs. You can restore the previous debug
engine if you select "Enable native debug and continue" on the "Edit and
Continue" page.

With mago, the debug engine is replaced, but the front end is still the
same, so hotkeys work the same. There are some functions that are not
supported yet (like "Set next statement"), but the basic operations
should work.
Stopping debugging (with Shift+F5) is known to cause a message box as
you describe, this is fixed in a recent beta:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/visuald/releases