Visual D can't debug programs

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sun Dec 1 09:33:41 UTC 2019

On 30/11/2019 19:29, SkyCloud wrote:
> I'm a novice in D and VisualD. Just installed VisualD 0.51.0-beta1 (a
> version with DMD/LDC compiler:
> VisualD-v0.51.0-beta1-dmd-2.089.0-ldc2-1.18.0.exe
> ) to Visual Studio 2019 16.3.9. It compiles and runs programs normally,
> but when I try to debug with F5 key, make a breakpoint, the program just
> starts and executes as there's no debugging mode (like as I pressed
> Ctrl+F5). So I can't view variables' values and so on. In C++ projects
> the debugger works normally, so the problem is only with VisualD.
>
> In fact this case is the same to:
> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/htjjwfynugdshluamgrm@forum.dlang.org
> But there was Visual Studio Code, not Visual Studio.
>
> Is it just because my Visual Studio is 16.3, but not 16.2, which the
> current version of VisualD was aimed to? So should I just wait untill
> the newer version of VisualD will support Visual Studio 16.3?
>
> As I'm a novice to D/VisualD, I do not know what to do. Please, help.

It works here, using VS 2019 16.3.10.

What project type and platform are you using? If you use the "Visual D
Win32 Application" project template, the preferred selection for the
debugger engine in the project configuration "Debugging" page is "Visual
Studio". The "Debug Info" should be set to "Mago", though (this probably
needs some cleanup as that is confusing for historic reasons).

When using the "D/C++ Win32 Application" project template, the actual
project type is the same as VC++ and the debugger should be starting
just the same.