Visual D can't debug programs

SkyCloud andry_wllfli at mail.ru
Sun Dec 1 19:19:33 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 1 December 2019 at 09:33:41 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 30/11/2019 19:29, SkyCloud wrote:
>> I'm a novice in D and VisualD. Just installed VisualD
>> 0.51.0-beta1 (a
>> version with DMD/LDC compiler:
>> VisualD-v0.51.0-beta1-dmd-2.089.0-ldc2-1.18.0.exe
>> ) to Visual Studio 2019 16.3.9. It compiles and runs programs
>> normally,
>> but when I try to debug with F5 key, make a breakpoint, the
>> program just
>> starts and executes as there's no debugging mode (like as I
>> pressed
>> Ctrl+F5). So I can't view variables' values and so on. In C++
>> projects
>> the debugger works normally, so the problem is only with
>> VisualD.
>>
>> In fact this case is the same to:
>> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/htjjwfynugdshluamgrm@forum.dlang.org But there was Visual Studio Code, not Visual Studio.
>>
>> Is it just because my Visual Studio is 16.3, but not 16.2,
>> which the current version of VisualD was aimed to? So should I
>> just wait untill the newer version of VisualD will support
>> Visual Studio 16.3?
>>
>> As I'm a novice to D/VisualD, I do not know what to do.
>> Please, help.
>
> It works here, using VS 2019 16.3.10.
>
> What project type and platform are you using? If you use the
> "Visual D Win32 Application" project template, the preferred
> selection for the debugger engine in the project configuration
> "Debugging" page is "Visual Studio". The "Debug Info" should be
> set to "Mago", though (this probably needs some cleanup as that
> is confusing for historic reasons).
>
> When using the "D/C++ Win32 Application" project template, the
> actual project type is the same as VC++ and the debugger should
> be starting just the same.

Hi! Thank you so much for the answer. Platform is Windows 7 x64.
I checked all the settings you said but unfortunately nothing
works.

I recorded a short video with my attempts to debug a program.
There are two projects (VisualD and D/C++) with each type and one
pure Visual C++ project. Debugging works only in Visual C++ as I
mentioned before.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ar5BCn3roz_ahSoJMf5pVZTdHYGY

I will be glad if you see it and find anything that can help me.