Another dwt-win / dmd / dsss build problem

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Feb 14 15:58:31 PST 2008

DBloke wrote:

>> In France OCaml is in industry use, Airbus/ESA. France Telecom. Means
>> OMake is still alive. Hope I got the chance to introduce D in
>> Toulouse/Airbus this summer.
>>

>>> --bb
>
> OCaml is an excellent language as is F# and Haskell These languages are
> used by companies like Microsoft to build compilers :) Functional
> languages are not new Lisp has been around for years, but they are just
> starting to find their way into OO languages now, even D borrows from
> the functional paradigm with lazy evaluation, lazy I call it common
> sense ;) OMake is useful and could easily be utilised for D!
>
> I am trying to educate the engineering bods in our work place about
> alternatives to Java and C++ mainly D and OCaml, sadly the arguments I
> get are related to lack of a decent IDE and Thin client support.
>
> I will continue to chip away and you never know :)

OCaml is certainly not bad.  I actually had decided to make it my
primary compiled language about a year or so ago after getting fed up
with C++.  But the switch was just too difficult for an old time C++
user.  It wasn't obvious how I should do anything.  And I think the
places where functional code shines are pretty much exactly the places
where I don't go very often.  OCaml's support for fast numerics was what
attracted me initially, plus I knew some ML from school, but in the end
I just found it too painful to switch.  For instance it's not so easy to
translate C/C++ code I have written or which I find on the web to OCaml.

D on the other hand makes for a very smooth transition.   And in a
pretty short time I was able to use it, know exactly what was going on,
and was able to easily to port C/C++/Java/C# code where nothing native
exists in D etc.  (Or call directly into C libs if they're too big to port).

I think the main problem with functional languages is that they're just
so darned functional, and procedural additions like monads seem
heavy-handed and cumbersome.  Adding a dose of functional features to a
procedural language, however, works pretty well and lets you only use
the functional stuff where you really need it.

Anyway, I wish OCaml luck, but it really is fighting an uphill battle.

--bb