TODO?

Robby robby.lansaw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 00:42:55 PST 2008

I have some ample spare time coming in the next few weeks to start, then
hobby time from there on, and before I dug into the port, I'm curious on
a few things.

I take it ticketing isn't being used as of yet [1]. Which considering
the depth of the project I'm assuming it's hack till it works for now.
No dramas. However,

What has and hasn't been done? What is everyone heading into? The
blessing of a decentralized SCM is that everyone can do what they want
with ease. The curse is that without solid communication there seems
like there could be quite a bit of possible toe stepping going on.

So as an outsider wanting in, what has and hasn't been worked on thus
far? Meaning, if you could write 5 things that you know *has* to be
done, what would they be? And what is everyone working on, I'd love to
help, but I really don't want to duplicate effort.

I caught the bundles mention in the wiki, we're sending them to where?

If you have particulars in the port that you need done but in the middle
of something else, feel free to throw them up, these are things that I'm
interested in doing.
-
I would like to start going behind the work involved and start seeing
what needs to be done to start pulling in SWT's 3.4 changes. SWT having
a 12-18 month release schedule means that it'll be stable for quite some
time. Also, traditionally there isn't any changes between milestones in
regards to the api itself, just feature adding and implementation/bug
fixing. So I don't think it'll be all that fluid.

It should also keep dwt up to speed. So there isn't always a situation
where features are being chased. By time DWT is up to snuff and
considered something of a 1.0 will be about the time 3.4 will be out of
milestone phase and be considered final. This has the added benefit that
it means there is another 12-18 months to have to worry about catching
up all over again.
-
Performance/API/Testing/Documentation

There's something to be said about SWT's API. While crufty compared to
what it could be, it allows inherited documentation and examples.
However, the actual underlying implementation could use some solid clean
up to get the java'isms out. (Dynamic arrays, default argument values,
etc could be used quite a bit. Structs could be used quite liberally
where "class is all we have in java land" etiquette is used).

But I would like to clean up/discuss underlying changes once we're aware
that the ported code works. Obviously this is a down the road thing.

That being said, I think it would be a solid idea to do some unit
testing on things that can be blackboxed into tests. Obviously with the
massive scale that is SWT unit testing across the board would be a
massive and frankly hard task at hand. But anything that can be
blackboxed (ie, not have functionality spread across 16 classes) and
gets some performance/d'ism treatment should get some unit tests.
Following Tango's approach to unit testing seems sound.

I don't think that changing the api would be wise on it's own, but it
may be worthwhile to create a d wrapper that overlaps dwt to clean up
the implementation would be worthwhile.
-
Nebula ports
I don't know the opinion on the nebula project from a dwt point of view,
but I would like to start working on porting it over. I'm assuming it's
going to be a dwt-addon.
-
Is an OSGI port being considered? It's not directly related, but is
needed for JFace IIRC. I don't have any idea how hard it would be to do
in D with it's limited reflective abilities, but I do know of an
objective-c implementation. So I'm assuming it's possible.

[1] http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt/report/1

Ok, it's getting late. Just wanted to get a feel of what needed to be
done, and what people were working on so I can get involved without
tripping.

-Robby