plan for swt 3.5

bobef bobef at nosmap-abv.bg
Tue Sep 2 23:07:13 PDT 2008

Frank Benoit Wrote:

> bobef schrieb:
> > I don't why these plans reminds me of what I said once :)
> >
> > http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.announce&article_id=11189
> >

> > All of the above quotes is already in HTMLayout/Sciter. Why am I
> > bringing performance? Because HTMLayout is fast.
> >
> > P.S. I love DWT and respect your hard work on it, but this way of
> > doing GUI is dying. This is just MHO, of course.
>
> Hm, i don't know if its dying. Perhaps D, as a system programming
> language, is also loosing ground in the big game. Managed code seems to
> get more and more important.
>
> However, for me, i see D and DWT as important :)

Me too. D is important because other system languages suck (compared to D :) and DWT is important for D, because it lacks good GUI otherwise.

> Bobef, once you wanted to port the HtmlLayout/Sciter to DWT. Are there news?

I don't know what you mean by porting it to DWT. I used it inside DWT with mixed success. It is usable inside DWT but I did't make enough effort because I was doing all my GUI work with HTMLayout and DWT is too heavy just to create a parent window for HTMLayout. Now I am doing something else - something like XUL using DWT and TiScript (the scripting engine of Sciter), but I don't have much time so it is going slowly. Otherwise it is working very well with almost automatic binding of DWT to TiScript. I don't know if I will be able to finish it but I will share it anyway when it becomes mature (or I'm totally unable to continue).

Regards