xfbuild

Tom S h3r3tic at remove.mat.uni.torun.pl
Fri Jul 17 13:42:19 PDT 2009

Piotrek wrote:
> test pisze:
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
>> http://wiki.team0xf.com/index.php?n=Tools.XfBuild
>>

> I was waiting for that functionality. Good job.
>
> I have some comments, though:
>
> 1. Why announced on dwt group and not on digitalmars.D.announce at least?

Because that's not a proper announcement by any of xfBuild's authors.
The build tool is not yet finished and official DMD1 support is still
missing thus there hasn't been an announcement.

> 2. Can't it be incorporated into dmd?

It could. But then, DMD is not the only D compiler and that would add
complexity to all of them. Having this functionality in an external tool
means that compiler writers only have to include some basic features to
support the tool instead of throwing the kitchen sink into the compiler
itself.

> 3. xfbuild (linux version)tries to write .o files in the same directory
> as .d file

The reason would be similar to 1.

--
Tomasz Stachowiak