How to build program with DWT2 and DMD2?

JohnnyK johnnykinsey at comcast.net
Tue Aug 6 07:49:22 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 6 August 2013 at 11:32:44 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-08-02 19:50, JohnnyK wrote:
>
> If you have cloned the git repository into C:\GITClones\dwt you
> should compile it like this:
>
> rdmd hello.d
> -IC:\GITClones\dwt\org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86\src
> -IC:\GITClones\dwt\base\src
>
> Also make sure you cloned the repository using "git clone
> --recursive". This will clone the submodules as well.

yeah that did not work for me either.  As you can see below it is
the same as before.

C:\Users\<myusername>\Documents\My
Projects\Programming\DStuff\dwthelloworld>rdmd he
llo.d -IC:\GITClones\dwt\org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86\src
-IC:\GITClones\dwt\
base\src
hello.d(3): Error: module Display is in file
'org\eclipse\swt\widgets\Display.d'
  which cannot be read
import path[0] = .
import path[1] = C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\phobos
import path[2] = C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import
Failed: "dmd" "-v" "-o-" "hello.d" "-I."

C:\Users\<myusername>\Documents\My
Projects\Programming\DStuff\dwthelloworld>

The Display.d is at
C:\GITClones\dwt\org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86\src\org\eclipse\swt\widgets
on my windows box.

All I know is that the snippets do compile so I am very confused
as to why this will not.  GIT does not work directly here at
work.  The company I work for uses a proxy server so I had to put
it through a NTLMaps program to handle the companies proxy
authentication.  So when I tried to use recursive that did not
work because to make it work I had to use HTTP: instead of GIT:
on the url but the sub-modules tried to use GIT: as the protocol
in the URL.  I then cloned the sub-modules individually so that I
could get the snippets to compile which I did and most of them
compiled.  The only ones that did not compile are those looking
for the Browser.d file and that use some lib called derelict
whatever that is.
Honestly I see GIT to be a big stumbling block for those of us
that just want to use your wares.  If I was contributing then
sure I can see where GIT would help but all I want to do is
download a and use the library for now.  Anyway I appreciate your
help but I may need to use some other widget toolkit if I can
find one.  However right now the only real toolkit that comes
close to my requirements is DWT but if I cannot get it to compile
code outside it's development folders I don't think it will be of
much practical use to me.

My Widget Tool Kit Needs:
Executable File size no larger than 5MB (minus resource/baggage
files) would like less than 1MB if possible.
Must compile and run everywhere DMD does (mainly Windows & Linux).
Is self contained in a file or 2 and does not need a separate
install package.
Can be copied to a directory and run with out modifying OS
configurations or touching other files that are not part of the
application.
Must look like or be native interface.
Must have a DateTime, Treeview, and Table/Grid widgets.  These
don't need data binding but that would be nice.
Would like to have drag-n-drop plus clipboard support as
appropriate for the OS.

As you can see above most of these needs can be accomplished by
DWT which is evident by the snippets but I just need to be able
to compile from everywhere.  Maybe it is my configuration here.
If I get a chance when I get home tonight I will try to compile
this on my Linux box and let you know.  I have a virtual XP
machine I can try as well.  I will let you know and again thanks
for your help and patients.