How to build program with DWT2 and DMD2?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Aug 21 11:58:27 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-21 18:39, JohnnyK wrote:

> Many Linux distros have GTK  and most automatically install it when
> you install the OS.  I know nothing about MAC as that OS is not a target for me.

Mac OS X uses it's on GUI system, it's not even using X. It was a while
since I installed GTK on Windows but it has some problems on Mac OS X.
Until quite recently you where forced to install X11 to have GTK work.
Thankfully that's not required anymore. One thing I don't like with GTK
and even more on Mac OS X is that it's not native. GTK applications look
even more alien on Mac OS X because it has a couple of widgets and human
interface guide lines that no other GUI system have. Unified toolbar,
sheet dialogs, a fixed menu and so on.

But I'm working on porting DWT to Mac OS X, since it's my primary
platform. I've been working on it for a couple of years now, that's how
I started contributing to DWT. Everything compiles but not everything
work. It's a time consuming work to try and find all things that don't work.

> The only other thing I am having issues with as far as DWT goes is
> these darn Layout things.  I understand what they are there for but I
> don't know if I like software moving my controls all over the window
> without me knowing that they are showing properly.  My only advice is
> when using the layout things once you put the control on the window
> don't move it or re-size it let the layout thing do that.  I have
> several times now made it where you could not see any controls on the
> screen because I messed up the layout things.  Sometimes the controls
> would be showing until the user maximizes or re-sizes the screen the
> window and then the controls would either change size hiding data or
> other controls messing up the display or totally disappear.  Anyway I
> suggest don't use them until you get more comfortable with DWT.  IMHO
> DWT gives you too much candy to choose from and you could end up with a
> belly ache if not careful.  I say keep things really simple to start.
> At least that is what I am trying to do for now.

I have to admit it was quite a while since I used DWT or SWT. But I have
really started to like the layout system used on Mac OS X. There you
just place the widget where you want it using the GUI builder. Then you
tell it to how to resize it in relation to its super view. It works out
quite nicely. I don't remember if it's possible to do in DWT.

> Anyway I am a happy
> DWT user for now.  Jacob thank you so much for all your hard work this
> library does the trick for me.

Thank you, I'm glad that someone is using it.

--
/Jacob Carlborg