BITPROX Development Environment 1.0 Beta 1

Ellery Newcomer ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu
Wed May 5 16:00:00 PDT 2010

On 05/05/2010 03:08 AM, Alex Makhotin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to introduce the first beta release of the IDE for D:
> BITPROX Development Environment 1.0 Beta 1
>
> You can download the trial beta version from the address:
> http://bitprox.com/en/download/bde1.0beta1.zip
>
> Please, try it.
> I would like to listen for your opinion.
> Thank you.
>
> Alex Makhotin,
> the founder of BITPROX,
> http://bitprox.com

Well, that was a bugger to install (fedora 12 x86_64)

yum gtk2.i686

mod to /etc/ld.so.conf

# /sbin/ldconfig

And it works! (for some reason LD_LIBRARY_PATH didn't seem to have any
effect)

Sooo, given I have a mongo project, how to proceed?

create workspace, create project, import source directory? With these
IDEs I'm always afraid they're going to do something weird with my
source code.. Try to build, and dmd says module x.y.z is in x/y/z.d and
can't be read or something to that effect. All right, fine. I can work
with that. Add source directory to import list. Ding!

Warnings!! Aaaa! Turn warnings off.

Compiling. one. file. at. a. time. Is there a way to give all the files
to dmd at once? At the rate bitprox is going, it's going to take a
couple of hours to compile my project..

In the compiler window, it only shows the name of the file being
compiled. Is there an option to show the full package of the file?
(without the package part, many of my modules share the same name)

No autoindent in editor? Oh, I get it. It just doesn't understand vim's
indenting. Any way to format?

I like the source code coloring. It's quite pleasant compared to vim's.
I don't think comments and string literals should share the same color,
though.

also, you seem to be missing the /+ +/ comments

doesn't color 'invariant', does color 'string' but not 'wstring' or
'dstring'

doesn't color #line

It'd be nice if it emboldened the escape sequences inside string
literals, e.g. "\u0000", since I often forget how many digits need to
follow \u vs \U, etc.

missing wysiwyg string literals, hex string literals, character literals

when I type something like

wagga w;

it says `Identifier 'wagga' is not defined`
and then it says `Wagga is used as a type` (note the capitalization
which is going to annoy the bejeebers out of me)

Ooo.. And when you cancel build, build, it restarts the build from
scratch. Here we go again.

Error: Cannot find GDB Debugger executable (gdb).

Don't know why. Does it not like 64bit executables?

All in all, I'd say it's a solid start. Don't know if I can tear myself
away from vim, but it would be nice to have incremental compilation..