Qt Creator with D

Matthias Pleh gonzo at web.at
Thu Oct 14 13:49:17 PDT 2010

Am 14.10.2010 11:59, schrieb Gour D.:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 22:32:15 +0200
>
> Matthias>  The D-projectmanager, I was working on, is derived on the
> Matthias>  generic-projectmangaer. This way we could also use another
> Matthias>  buildsystem or a compiler direct. But it should be done in a
> Matthias>  way, to support all D-compilers (dmd,gdc,ldc,...)
>
> I was thinking whether to use CMake or Waf as build system for D and
> decided to use the latter (http://code.google.com/p/waf/) which
> already has built-in support for D and it is very extensible -
> everything is just Python.
That also means, you will need a Python installation, but beside that it
would be a considerable option.

> Matthias>  I've heard, someone is working on a cmakeD2, which could be
> Matthias>  easily added to Qt-Creator, but there isn't a releasy yet.
>
> So, I believe that Waf can serve very nicely.
>
> Considering that I would use Waf with CodeBlocks as well, now I'm
> curious what would be the best option as D IDE:
>
> a) adding support to CodeBlocks
>
> b) patching QtCreator or
>
> c) D.Dev (http://d-dev-ide.blogspot.com/)
>
> Matthias>  >  But it's something to build on, if pushing QtD as the new
> Matthias>  >  official GUI ?
>
> I'd say that QtD looks as the best/most_complete GUI option for
> D. Considering that, what would you recommend to base D-IDE on: a), b)
> or c) ?
If you work windows-only I would suggest VisualD. It's working great,
good quality and is frequently updated.

If you itend to work linux or platform-independent I would suggest:
- for the short term: -> CodeBlocks - already working out of the box
with several D compiler
- for the middle term: -> adding support to QtCreator -> it's really
good piece of Code and through the plugin sytem very flexible.
- for the long term: -> we will need an IDE written in D, but first we
need a good working D GUI library

As conclusion I would suggest b) QtCreator

greets Matthias