Status/future of the DDT project?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Aug 3 09:46:18 PDT 2011

On 01/08/2011 20:14, Andrew Wiley wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Ary Manzana <ary at esperanto.org.ar
> <mailto:ary at esperanto.org.ar>> wrote:
>
>     On 8/1/11 2:16 PM, Trass3r wrote:
>
>         Am 01.08.2011, 13:39 Uhr, schrieb Samuel Lampa
>         <samuel.lampa at scilifelab.uu.se
>         <mailto:samuel.lampa at scilifelab.uu.se>__>:
>
>             Hi,
>
>             I'm looking into using D for some sysadmin tools I need to
>             develop att
>             UPPMAX, and thus is looking for a good IDE for use on Linux,
>             that
>             supports debugging (step/go-into etc) debugging and code
>             completion.
>

>         I think DDT doesn't support debugging yet.
>         But unfortunately there's no real alternative (I know of).
>

>     Someone could try to contribute to DDT by extracting Descent's
>     debugger from it (the code is totally separated from other IDE
>     features so it's should be straight forward). Though Descent's
>     debugger only worked with ddbg (dead, I think) and gdb (which kind
>     of understands D, but not that much).
>

> That's the trick. I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't had
> any luck figuring out how to debug code compiled by DMD with any sort of
> efficiency, so I've just been using GDC for everything. The problem is
> that integrating gdb would require the IDE to know the difference
> between the two, which is non-trivial.
> And if I can't even find the symbol I want in an executable compiled by
> DMD, how would I code an IDE that could?

The next DDT release should have support for the GDC compiler, as it has
for DMD now. This is precursor step to actually supporting debugging
with GDB.

The question remains on what to do with regards to DMD debugging. It may
easy enough to add support in Eclipse to an existing debugger, but if
the debugger doesn't exist or is unsupported, it's a crappy situation.

What's the status with ddbg btw? I know the project is dead, but the
debugger itself, is it still fairly usable, or has it a lot of issues? I
couldn't tell myself from just a quick look at it.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer