Emacs or Vi? Why the answer is neither.

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Wed Jul 27 23:52:15 PDT 2011

Bruno Medeiros Wrote:

> It seems to be article season, and I'm on a bit of a punditry mood, so
> here's a blog post I wrote recently:
>
> http://pureconcepture.blogspot.com/2011/05/emacs-or-vi-why-answer-is-neither.html
>
> It's not about D, but it's a software development issue that has popped
> up several times here in the NG... :)

Theoretically IDE is better but Visual Studio
1. Loads a solution 20 seconds.
2. Hits OutOfMemoryException regularly after which it can randomly crash or do funny things.
3. Can't run for longer than a day.
4. Can't work on more than one solution at a time. Combined with 1 switching between solutions is pain in the ass.

Text editors may have less features but they're not so annoying, they just work. Well, I agree, the net productivity of visual studio is still higher, but it's tricky to stay sane working with it.