Emacs or Vi? Why the answer is neither.

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:58:16 PDT 2012

Robert Clipsham wrote:
> There's far too much mouse usage in IDEs for me. You mean I
> have to move my hands away from the keyboard to do a find and
> replace? Pfft :<

MonoDevelop has a Vi mode, and most functions in IDE's are mapped
to keyboard shortcuts anyways. Ctrl-F for find/replace,
Ctrl-K-C/U for commenting, etc... there's probably even keys do
navigate the project overview.

I don't see what's so bad with moving your hands around a bit
anyways. Don't you have to move your hands away from "home
position" to use the arrow keys to move around with a keyboard
anyways? The muscle memory for moving to the mouse feels very
similar to me.