Emacs or Vi? Why the answer is neither.

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:52:20 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 2 June 2011 at 16:54:17 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> It seems to be article season, and I'm on a bit of a punditry
> mood, so here's a blog post I wrote recently:
>
> http://pureconcepture.blogspot.com/2011/05/emacs-or-vi-why-answer-is-neither.html
>
> It's not about D, but it's a software development issue that
> has popped up several times here in the NG... :)

Good article. I completely agree with your conclusions.

I really can't see how anyone would want to use a "text editor"
over an "IDE". I mean, an IDE _is_ a text-editor + tools that
help you manage projects and understand source structure.

I hear the arguments about common IDE's crashing a lot, but
honestly, even if it's as bad as naysayers proclaim (which is
mostly isn't), I'd still rather use the productivity features of
modern IDE's and live with a crash now 'n then. Plus, it's
unrealistic to think that such bugs wont be fixed with time, just
like with any software.