Emacs or Vi? Why the answer is neither.

so so at so.so
Tue May 1 11:06:08 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 25 April 2012 at 00:52:22 UTC, F i L wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 June 2011 at 16:54:17 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> It seems to be article season, and I'm on a bit of a punditry
>> mood, so here's a blog post I wrote recently:
>>
>> http://pureconcepture.blogspot.com/2011/05/emacs-or-vi-why-answer-is-neither.html
>>
>> It's not about D, but it's a software development issue that
>> has popped up several times here in the NG... :)
>
> Good article. I completely agree with your conclusions.
>
> I really can't see how anyone would want to use a "text editor"
> over an "IDE".

Did you use any of them? Emacs already is an IDE, much better
than many around. Yes vim is "the" text editor, if you are using
command line screen/tmux, vim is awesome. If only it had a better
gdb/debugger integration, then it would be complete.

> I mean, an IDE _is_ a text-editor + tools that help you manage
> projects and understand source structure.

There are tons of developers out there using vim and as it looks
like they manage to do those somehow. No one forcing them :)

I used to be a Visual Studio user as well, then i t...