Visual D in Visual Studio 2013 on Win 8.1 with DMD x64 Linker Problem Solved

Tyler Jensen tyler at tsjensen.com
Sun Nov 17 15:41:14 PST 2013

Question and answer in one. I found the answer to my question not
long after composing the question. Posted here for others who are
on the bleeding OS edge as well.

My environment:
   Running Windows 8.1.
   Visual Studio 2013 Premium installed.
   Install Visual D with VisualD-v0.3.37.exe.

Create new D console app DMD/GDC.

Switch solution config to "Debug DMD|x64"

Hit F6 to build and get the following:

------ Build started: Project: ConsoleApp1, Configuration: Debug
DMD x64 ------
Building Debug DMD x64\ConsoleApp1.exe...
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'user32.lib'
Building Debug DMD x64\ConsoleApp1.exe failed!
------

How to fix this? That is the question.

Partial answer found in known issues page:
http://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/KnownIssues.html

That fix did not work but it led to trying this change to sc.ini
(only showing changed lines):

; environment for both 32/64 bit
[Environment]
LIB="%@P%\..\lib";\dm\lib;"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows