Building and run VisualD with VS2013

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 23 09:32:40 PST 2014

On 22.12.2014 11:57, Nicholas Londey wrote:
> Hey, has anyone recently built and run VisualD using VS2013 (community
> edition/pro). With minor additions I was able to get it to build but
> have been  unsuccessful debugging it. Using the given instructions to
> install the extension in the AppData folder and using /RootSuffix but
> instead it always loads the installed version's dll.
>
> Will continue to look into it but if anyone has already solve these
> problems any hints would be much appreciated.

This is not the official way to do it using the VS SDK, but what I
usually do is:

- make a copy of "<VS-Install-Dir>\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Rainer
Schuetze\VisualD\0.3\visuald.pkgdef" to visuald_debug.reg

- load it into an editor

- replace $RootKey$ with
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0D_Config"

- replace "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VisualD\\" with the path to the
debug version of VisualD.dll

- launch VS once with "devenv /RootSuffix D" to initialize the registry
for hive "12.0D_Config" and exit

- run visuald_debug.reg to create the appropriate registry entries

- launch VS again with "devenv /RootSuffix D"

This should now show Visual D installed. Registrations needs to be rerun
after changing the VS installation (e.g. by installing a new version of
Visual D), because the configuration is rewritten then.