DMD-2.065.0-b3 and VisualD x64 select optlink as linker

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Wed Feb 12 00:34:46 PST 2014

On 11.02.2014 08:51, Arjan wrote:
> Rainer,
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 07:07:27 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>>
>>> remarks:
>>> set PATH=C:\usr\local\d\x64\bin; <== wrong path!
>>
>> What is wrong about it? I guess it is the path that you have set
>> manually in the "Executable paths" option.
>
> I did not. Does VisualD uses the registry for storing setting like this?
> Might it be a leftover from a previous attempt to install/uninstall
> VisualD?

The Visual D installer keeps settings if you jut install on top of it,
so this might be causing it.

[...]
>> Another issue is that you have probably specified the Windows SDK Lib
>> path without quotes, so it is split into several paths due to spaces
>> in the path names. Unfortunately, it isn't always even clear to me
>> when path separation works on line splits, spaces or semicolon, so
>> better use quoting.
>
> Yes tried it with quotes but then the final path is still not correct,
> it has somewhere an escaped quote (\") in it.

Found this issue: optlink needs the trailing backslash for its obscure
command line syntax, mslink treats it as an escape charater if before a
quote.
Current workaround is to specify short names to avoid spaces in names
that needs quoting (with e.g. progra~2 instead of "Program Files").

>>> When I disabled the "override linker ...." the build and link succeeds!
>>>

>> This falls back to using the settings in sc.ini, which is usually ok,
>> but might cause trouble when working with a different version of VS
>> than assumed by the installer.
>
> OK makes me wonder, does VisualD use the sc.ini file at all? When this
> check is set?

It reads some environment changes from it, i.e. DFLAGS to extract linker
options and the LIB variable.