Input wanted - Coedit new name

Baz via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 4 03:44:52 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 3 March 2015 at 07:02:00 UTC, Vadim Lopatin wrote:
> On Thursday, 26 February 2015 at 11:48:37 UTC, Baz wrote:
>> The current name sucks, there is already another soft named
>> "coedit", and "coedit" gives a wrong idea of the soft...it's
>> not collaborative. At all.
>>
>> Vote for
>> - EmeralD
>> - Diane
>> - MauD
>>
>> any other idea ?
>
> Can I ask offtopic question?
>
> Are you planning to add debugging for coedit (CompileDebugEdit
> - codeedit/coDedit/codefix)?
>
> I'm looking for possible solution for debugger integration for
> windows.
> It looks like MAGO is the only good option for windows platform.
> Unfortunately it's impossible to use it directly outside of
> visual studio.
> There is a fork providing different interface
> https://github.com/aBothe/MagoWrapper - which is used for MonoD
> on windows.
> I'm planning to do some similar implementation for interfacing
> from D (for dlangide - ide written in D).
> If it would be separate DLL with simple interface, it can be
> accessed from ObjectPascal as well.

Debugging is not planed for the first version (the feature is
part of a few other things dropped rece,tly), however i've
searched a bit like you the possible solutions and i also feel
that A.Bothe solution is the way to go. I'm looking forward to
your implementation in case you'd do it. And i'm a taker if it's
a plugin. An executable (service/daemon) as well (using i/o
streams).

A few links collected during my "debugger-prospection-campaign":

- http://blog.llvm.org/search/label/LLDB: LLVM debugger is coming
to windows. Problem, OMF object format wont be handled. so the
converter from A.Both is still needed.

- writing a basic debugger:
http://www.codereversing.com/blog/?p=178,
http://www.codereversing.com/blog/?p=176, in 5 parts. it's
challenging but appealing. Why ? from my small experience of
using a debugger (Delphi and Lazarus, desktop application mostly
for entertainment...) i think that the only important feature is
to put breakpoints and to have a readable call stack in sync with
the sources. So why not writing these essential "core" features ?

- ms CDB:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/dds1ei$2ff9$1@digitaldaemon.com?page=2,
look at the answer by Hasan Aljudy. What the guy describes still
works.
Currently Coedit for win32 has a simple GUI front-end for CDB but
it's not really usable since the breakpoints have to be hardcoded:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26775818/cdb-command-for-setting-a-breakpoint-based-on-a-line-number.
The former idea was to provide the same simple features for cdb
and gdb.